Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sue asks: Any ideas for healthier snacks?

Laura, I know you've lost and kept off 50 pounds.  I want to start the year off right.  Can you share your choices for healthier snacks?

Snacking is important fuel for me.  I look for snacks higher in protein as they keep my metabolism burning and help reduce sugar cravings -- plus I find they satisfy me longer than a sugary or higher fat snack.

Costco's Kirkland Signature brand, 
nonfat Greek yogurt is my favorite --
comes in two 32 oz containers at a great deal
when compared to the grocery store.
I love it and it makes great smoothies, too.
When I need more dairy in my day, I choose Greek yogurt or cottage cheese topped with a few toasted almonds, walnuts, flax or chia seeds and a drizzle of honey. 
Speaking of nuts -- a few almonds are always in a baggie in my purse or the car.

A hard boiled egg is one of my favorites for "on the go" - high in protein, low cal and low fat.  When I was a full time student, I took two already peeled along with a piece of fruit for lunch between classes.  I will also grab a roasted, skinless chicken breast in a hurry. 

I also keep a stash of protein bars on hand as more of a meal replacement than a snack if needed.  They've gotten much better over the years. Some favorites are by Pure Protein, Balance (love the lemon meringue), Zone and Target's Market Place brand.  Most are 170-210 calories with 12-20 grams of protein.

Obviously, this is not a complete list -- just a few of my favorites.  I hope it gives you an idea that works for you.

1 comment:

Just Ask Laura said...

UPDATE TO THIS POST: Costco removed this great yogurt product from its shelves to do an update! Bummer... I'll do an udpate when it's back.