Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Slip 'n Slide Corn on the Cob!

A reader asks: Do you have any tricks for easy corn on the cob?

Answer: Absolutely!  I just learned this no husking, no "silking" method this year.  Now I want to make it over and over just because I can't believe how well it works.  I ask myself why I didn't know about this method years ago?

If you love that charred, grilled taste you can always throw the cobs directly on the grill after you complete step 5.

1. Pick your neighbors best ears of corn (or buy at the local farmers' market if you have to)
2. Place an ear of corn in the microwave for 4 minutes.
3. Slice off the bottom (larger end - see pic) with a sharp knife (being careful to hold the knife correctly so you don't slip!)
4. Grab the ear at the top where you'd normally peel from  (it will be hot, so you might need to grab it with a clean dish cloth or a few paper towels) and give it a squeeze. 
5. Corn will slip 'n slide right out of the husks silky clean.
6. Dot with butter (no margarine!), give it a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper then enjoy!


Although I would love to claim this as my original thinking... it definitely is not.  Unfortunately, research did not produce the "original" source or I'd be happy to give the credit.

No comments: