Sunday, September 16, 2012

How can I cut the cost of shaving?

A common question I get stems from the rising cost of shaving and it's: "Where can I find deals on razors?"  So, when I recently received two different offers for gadgets that supposedly extend the life of razor blades, I sought out reviews and did a little research. 

Could someone really have finally found a way to help us save a few bucks when it comes to shaving?  The answer is: YES!

Thanks to Google I found a tip that actually works.  It's not in form of a new gadget and there's no out-of-pocket costs associated with prolonging the life of an ordinary disposable razor blade for months and months.  All you need is a strop that according to Merriam-Webster dictionary is a leather strap or an abrasive strip for sharpening razors.  

What's that?  You don't have a leather strap lying around?  No worries ... just grab a pair of jeans or even a rough towel works for s
tropping -- the act of polishing by slowing down the dulling process. 
Click here to see the tip in action by Lifehacker.

Being a bit skeptical and realizing this tip sounded too good to be true, I decided my husband and I would give it a try ourselves.

We tested this technique each using our own brand of razor.  Then, I used jeans for a strop while he used a rough towel.  As of this writing, we have both been using the same razor for more than a month with the same smooth finish as the first shave -- unbelievable!   The tips we follow take just a matter of seconds, but will save quite a bit of money in the long run: 

  • Give the razor a quick puff of air after shaving by blowing on it or hitting it quickly with a blow dryer
  • Give it 10-15 quick strokes in each direction on your "strop" before storing it in a dry place
  • Give it 10-15 quick strokes before using it to shave again
My research produced a good read by a blogger named Team D who wrote a post titled: Extend the Life of Your Razor Blades - Confirmed Using Microscope that you can read by clicking here.

If you give this money saving tip a try, I'd love to hear how it works for you! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's great. Thanks for sharing this information with us, Laura. I can tell I'm going to be visiting this blog quite frequently.

-Sleepless in Centerline-